Samstag, 12. Juni 2010

Post 32: Not so much fun at work, WM* openner, and a night at the movies

Fairly annoying day at work.  The Rheometer is repaired, so I started testing again.  My samples got stuck in the sample press 5 times today, meaning that I wasted 5 times 0,6 grams of my 10,0 grams of material.  It wasn't all that much fun.  That and the fact that it was so warm out today all day.  And that one of my tests crashed the computer.  And another provided me with results that my temporary boss (Herr Dr. Max von Bistram) looked at and just started laughing.  No comment like (Hmm, komisch), just started laughing. 

So, on the way home I stopped at the Pfarrheim and practiced piano for a while.  I arrived home, and saw the last 15 minutes of the Mexico v. South Africa opening Fußballspiel of the World Championships.  It ended in a 1:1 tie.  At 19:30 Josua and I went to the Cindarella cinema and watched "Robin Hood".  Joshua and I were two of three people in the theater.  The cashier warned us beforehand that it was likely to be a private showing.  It was a very good film.  It was also completely in German.  After the movie, we went for a short bike ride to and from Herbertshofen discussing various things:  the movie, the difference between "Sie", "euch", and "Du" as used in the movie, and a bit about the history of Meitingen.  (Sie, is a formal form of "you".  For instance,  an employee talking with the president of a company would use Sie.  Euch is a plural form of "you".  Commonly used as the english "y'all".  However, in the context of the film, "euch" was used when talking to the King; the royal plural.  In this case, you is plural because, as the king said, "The kingship was given to him by God."  So when talking with the King or any member of the royal household, the plural is used because you are talking to the person and to God.  Du, is then an informal form of "you" used mostly among friends, or people who you have known for a while. 

I'll write more about the history of Meitingen when I get the chance. 

*WM stands for Weltmeisterschaft which is the German name for the FIFA World Cup Soccer. 

2 Kommentare:

  1. Catching up on blogs, see you snagged a solo in the choir, cool! What fun that you get to catch the World Cup in Germany. I remember when a UMChE student watched it in Italy, he said that after a major victory it got so crazy "it made a Michigan football game feel like a funeral..." I see Germany beat Australia, let the merriment begin... :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I'm so jealous when I hear you talk about the weather! Here in Hamburg it's been mostly cloudy with a side of rain. :/

    AntwortenLöschen